Moderator: Randy Gaddo, CWO-4 USMC (Ret), BVA Founding Vice President & Board Emeritus
When: October 22, 2023, 9-10:30 a.m.
Where: Hilton Garden Inn, Jacksonville, N.C. in the Grand Ballroom
Purpose of the Focus Group: To provide a collaborative space in which interested BVA members or friends of the BVA can share ideas about where they see the BVA moving into the future. The ideas will be written on flip charts. At the conclusion of the session, the information on the flip charts will then be compiled into a comprehensive digital base. These ideas can then be factored into tactical (short) and strategic (long-term) planning by the BVA Board of Directors. This meeting is solely about the future and moving forward. This meeting is not meant to be about the past. The moderator reserves the right to keep any speaker on topic to ensure the meeting stays focused on its goal of establishing a long term vision for the BVA.
No decisions will be made at this session: it is intended rather to gather information, not make decisions. There will not be lengthy discussions on a single idea; once an idea is brought forth, it will be recorded, and we will move on. In order to make the most of the time allotted for this session, there will be several “rules of engagement.”
Rules of Engagement:
- The Golden Rule - treat others as you would want to be treated.
- The moderator will call on people who have their hands raised, and only the person called on will have the floor. Refer to the first bullet point.
- Each person will receive two minutes to speak when called upon. Please think through what you want to say before raising your hand and keep your remarks concise and to the point. This does not mean an individual cannot speak more than once during the 90-minute session, if time permits. The moderator will ask for your name and contact information as well as endeavor to ensure that everyone who wishes to speak will be given the opportunity.
- A timekeeper will control the time. The timekeeper will give the speaker a signal when they have 20 seconds remaining.
- If one or more people have questions for the person who has the floor bringing up an idea, at the conclusion of the two minutes, they can raise their hand and say “Question” and the moderator will call on people one at a time until all questions are addressed.
- Once an idea is on the flip charts, there is no need for someone else to bring up the same idea, unless they have additional information that can be merged together.
- If, at the end of the 90 minutes, people still have suggestions, they can write them down or have them prewritten and give them to the moderator, who will record them and ensure that they are included in the final list.
- Cell phones should be turned off or silent during the session. If you need to make or take a call, please step outside the room.
This event will be recorded and made available for members to review afterwards.